Sunday, April 12, 2009

Camp David

Ahh...I am back again. Life likes to keep me busy.

So, where do I begin? Camp David.....not the president's camp for those of you who are wondering. Camp David is a camp down in the hills of the Ozarks for inner city children. The couple who runs the camp, Ben and Grace, rely a lot on youth groups to come and help them get ready for camp every year. This past weekend, my youth group had the privilege of going to Camp David and helping them get ready for the summer.
There were five of us youth who went....we left Thursday night, and started work early Friday morning. It rained all day Friday, so we had to work inside. We helped them with the new dormitory, kitched, dining hall, and staff quarters that they are building. I spent 5 1/2 hours insulating water pipes that afternoon....we were all exhausted by the time we finished working that evening.
On Saturday, the sun was shining!!! We had the perfect weather for working. I got to spend
7 1/2 hours shoveling, hauling, and spreading mulch.
It's really hard for me to describe just how amazing this weekend was. Seeing all the jobs that we had completed gave me a feeling of accomplishment. It may not be everyone's idea of a mission trip, but knowing that we were helping with such a great ministry was so awesome to me!
God taught me a lot about different kinds of service this weekend.....I can't wait to go back!
This is brief, but some things are just hard to describe.....but this weekend touched me in such a powerful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment